Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Blue Collar and Proud of It


In the area that I teach (technology education) I see many different types of kids come through my door. Some of them will grow up to be doctors and lawyers; some will work construction or learn some other trade skill. In my mind, no path is better than the other and Joe Lamacchia will agree with me. Joe recently published a book called Blue Collar and Proud of It. In the book he makes several points and observations about the job market and the need for people to perform certain jobs, blue collar jobs in particular.

In my district there have been debates on what direction tech education is moving in. Should we focus more on preparing students for engineering jobs or trade jobs? In the past we have definitely focused more on the trade jobs but the current trend to stress engineering. While both paths are great the real issue is are we adequately preparing our students for the future? Joe makes a great point when he states that not all kids are cut out to go to college and that we need people to build roads and bridges. This is an interesting point considering 54% of students who enroll in college drop out. He has issues with how schools tend to stress college but when he looks for plumbers and electricians there are shortages. The first topic of debate is that college earners make so much more money in the long run. While this is true, Joe states that it is not always about money. And besides, plumbers, electricians and garbage men can make 50K, 60K or even 70K a year.

The bottom line is that it feels like we are pushing nearly every student to prepare for college and to get a degree but not every student has a desire or the ability to do so. Again, 54% drop out. Personally, I would like to see school counseling programs do a better job talking to kids and finding out where their interests and ability levels are. It seems asinine to me that so many people go to college not knowing what they want but go just because they are just supposed to.

As an educator, it probably seems strange that I appear to be supporting a society that would encourage kids not to attend college. On the contrary, I support education immensely but not necessarily 4 year colleges for all people. It is my opinion that everyone should receive an education and training for a job but not exclusively at 4 year schools.

4 comments:

  1. I like what you said here “While both paths are great the real issue is are we adequately preparing our students for the future?…not all kids are cut out to go to college … need people to build roads and bridges.” We need to prepare our students for all situations because circumstances in their life can change, some of them might drop out and some might complete college but will not find a job. In this day of job shortage our students need to be all rounder, when they have the opportunity to do so. There is nothing wrong in learning a trade in high school and then go to college. It will make the student to be a better candidate for a job if he knows the theory and the practical aspect of the job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think Joe is 100% correct - all kids are not cut out for college. The fact is, there are many "trade" jobs that make excellent careers and kids shouldn't feel pressure to attend college if there is a trade or blue clooar job they feel suited for. Here's an example from my own life. My brother in law decided in high school that dispite the fact his whole family went to college and dispite the fact it was expected of him too, he went to trade school because he loved working with electricity. He currently works at a powerplant in the Beaulah area and he makes a ton of money. Best of all, he is happy doing something he loves.
    If anything, we as a country may have de-emphasized blue collar jobs to a point that we are hurting our country. We are loosing our manufacturing abilities in this country. We are becoming pure consumers and if we ever get to that point we are in trouble. Countries must produce things - it has been the backbone of economic health for countries for a long time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. In England and Europe students are put on a vocational vs. academic track early on. I'm not sure if that is good or bad. For example, is it because of the lingering traditions of a class system? In the U.S. we have improved on serving those students who want a vocation vs. a college degree. However, we still have a way to go. I think we still have a lot of kids who start college and then drop out, and only about 30% of Americans have a degree. I agree with you educate and train our students for the vocation of their choice, and that doesn't necessarily mean a 4 year degree.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mike,

    Great post. I really enjoyed it. During the summer I do some man’s work. I just finished a shingling job. At the end of the day I feel great about myself. I work hard and the sweat pours off me. The next morning I can barely get out of bed. My hands are too soft from a year of running my mouth! Once the school year rolls around I am ready to teach again. And, I am thankful that teaching is my full time job. I usually do these construction type jobs with two other teachers. We were wondering which kids could help us out? We really couldn’t think of any? None of the students that we teach and coach do any real manual labor. We couldn’t even ask some of the kids that would do a good job. Most of them have overprotective parents that wouldn’t want them up on that steep roof.

    Our technology education teacher does a great job. His students helped build a house this year. He also teaches a Project Lead the Way course. His students are working with cutting edge computer programs and technology. At the end of the school year he came into my class to recruit potential tech ed students. One of his key points was that there is and will be a plethora of high paying trade jobs available. We could also point out the number of unemployed college graduates. These boomerang students are back in their parent’s basement, unable to float their bills and pay back student loans.

    The college track isn’t for everyone. You are one hundred percent correct on that one. Teenage boys (and some girls) aren’t cut out for upper level courses. However, these same students can develop exceptional skills. They can be great at fixing, building, and repairing.

    There probably is a one-sided mentality. I think you are correct on that matter too. Many school personnel emphasize college or bust. Lots of young people enter college and leave early. This can be a very costly mistake. Instead, they could have entered the trade school or the work force. I think of my favorite Alabama country song “40 hour week.” Like spokes inside a wheel, they keep this country turning around.

    ReplyDelete